Saturday, June 17, 2006

Aug 28-29 The Long Journey Back. Part IV ā€“ Trying to find a taxi in Sevilla

Modified from another piece Iā€™d written.

I arrive in Sevilla past midnight, I'm alone, I can't speak the language and I can't find a taxi to get to my hostel. There is a taxi stand at the bus station, but there is a long line of people and no taxis in sight. I have a sketchy little map I had taken down from the guidebook of the area between the bus station and where the airport bus would be for the next morning (Puerto de Jerez). I walk from the bus depot to this puerto, but no taxis. There are horse-drawn buggies but I am not paying 30 Euros plus to get there in style.

I enter another hostel and ask if they can help me find a taxi. They give me a number and point at the payphone. I fumble with my Euro coins - I've been in Africa two weeks, it's dark, I have no idea how much change is in my hands. I also have absolutely no clue what to say if someone is to pick up. But no one picks up. I suspect that all the coins I had are in ridiculously small denominations and were insufficient for the call.

I leave the hostel and regroup. Next door is a restaurant with a gelato stand outside. A couple orders a mango gelato. I'm hungry, thirsty and hot from lugging my suitcase around - those gelatos look GOOD. I order the same thing. No words needed, all I do is point. AND I get to break my 20 Euro bill. Using this new-found change, I walk into the swanky hotel up the street, ask the concierge if he could please find me a taxi, have money to tip the guy, and still pay the taxi driver. I ate my mango gelato waiting in the lobby of the fancy hotel.

When I finally arrive at the hostel, I take a quick shower and set the alarm to wake up early. I will walk back to the Puerto de Jerez in the morning. I refuse to find any more taxis in this city.

Next - The Long Journey Back. Part V ā€“ To the airport and London

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home