Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Chinese Diaspora

In the spirit of me being in a new city, and this fascinating documentary which I've only read about but never seen (I originally read the G&M review linked here under Reviews), I present the Chinese restaurants I encountered on my journey.

Some of my first pictures I took in Amsterdam and on my whole trip were of the Chinatown I accidentally stumbled upon. I had no idea there were sufficient Chinese in the Netherlands to merit a Chinatown but there it was - Dutch-Chinese bbq duck. J and I had issues relocating this area after when we were looking for soy sauce for her pantry. Eet = eat. Huis = house. Chinees = well...

How authentic is a restaurant that does not even bother using Chinese characters? I saw this pair of restaurants in Winchester.

London's theater district is right by their Chinatown. As I mentioned earlier, we were looking for Indian food that night, but I did have Chinese food in London - that very expensive bowl of soup.

The one and only restaurant we went to in Seville. After finding our hostel around 11pm we came here to have soup rather than heading to the nearest tapas bar (we were tired...). Our first introduction to Spanish food vocab - sopa y zumo de naranjas. The owners did not speak a dialect either A or I could understand so out came the travelguide.

We never dreamed we'd find one in Morocco, but find one we did in Rabat (the capital). K and I accidentally stumbled onto it on our way back to the hotel and decided this was where dinner would take place (this was our 2nd last night in Morocco and we were willing to try a dinner that not involve tajine or brochettes (shish kebabs). He got the Chinese rice (fried rice), while A had the Vietnamese rice and I had poulet aux amandes. The poulet was very strange - it was battered at one point but merely soggy when I had it. The amandes, vegetables and accompanying rice were excellent though. The restaurant was actually managed by a Chinese lady, though the only other customers that night were two Oriental (possibly Japanese?) men. Very relaxing after days of eating in marketplaces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home