Monday, September 05, 2005

AMS -> LHR (Aug 8th)

My flight to London was in the afternoon so I spent one final morning wandering the streets of Amsterdam. I found the streets here a little unwelcoming or unfriendly due to the way the houses were designed. Buildings next to the canals basically stood shoulder to shoulder and their fronts were straight up and down. Stately, staid, little in the way of personal or homey touches. No gardens, or porches, no frilly curtains. They seemed very impersonal - I could not tell whether they were residences or offices. These were my initial impressions anyhow. One cool things about them was how ppl moved into them. I passed two sets of movers in my time here. Basically, stairways are terribly steep and narrow, so rather than lugging things up these, they would use these conveyer ladders to bring things in through the large windows at each floor.

And then I arrive in London. Here is a picture of afternoon rush hour traffic near Trafalgar Square I took later. I've already written about my long walk on my first day here, so I'll just post some obligatory tourist-y pics.

1. Royal Albert Hall where I ate sandwiches for dinner. It was near here that I bumped into Ron.
2. Buckingham Palace.
3. Big Ben and Parliament.
4. Same thing from across the river.
5. The London Eye.

2 Comments:

Blogger BitterSweet said...

Hi there,

I would like to compliment you on your weblog, it's really interesting. :-)

Please feel free to check mine when you have time.

9/05/2005 12:33 PM  
Blogger BitterSweet said...

Yes, I read your stroy about Amsterdam and I totally agree with you about the "inpersonal" houses, espcially around the "Jordaan",the area with all the canals".

BTW: I was in London while you were in Amsterdam and I think London is hunderd times prettier and cooler than Amsterdam.

9/05/2005 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home