Thursday, May 20, 2010

First night in Korea!

So I didn't get a ton of sleep last night, but hopefully enough to sustain me till at least this evening with the aid of caffeine. Instead of a western-style hostel, the first place I am staying at is a 'hanok' or a traditional Korean house (pronounced remarkably like the Chinese characters for Korean house). So far as I can tell, these are set up sort of like Roman houses, with an open air atrium in the center and rooms set around this facing inwards. Here are a few pictures I took this morning when I got a better chance to look around a bit.



The doors slide open and the floors are heated from below. As you can see below in the photo of my messy, the mattresses are set directly on the ground, which makes things remarkably warm at night. The mattress is a little thin (it felt like camping), but if I coccoon myself in the quilt, there's a much thicker layer. I'll have to say the pillow is the least comfortable part of the whole affair - it's really low and it feels like it's stuffed with raw rice. Going to read a little before breakfast and then start off to see Seoul by daylight!

1 Comments:

Blogger icky said...

wow! travel meesh still exists!

7/05/2010 8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home